After 37 years of life, and 10+ years in menswear, here are my conclusions on a dinner jacket/tuxedo:
- Every gentleman should own one; renting is for high school prom. Call me a snob.
- Once you own a tuxedo, you find opportunities to wear it. You actually look forward to invites that include “Black Tie Optional.”
- Inevitably, you will be invited to a once-in-a-lifetime event that requires a tuxedo or dinner jacket, and you will not have time to rent or buy, and you’ll miss out unless you have one hanging in your closet.
- It is a conversation starter anywhere you go. Strangers will ask about the occasion to which you can answer whatever you like.
- Given a half-dozen or so uses a year, and assuming no major changes in your body shape (+/- 3″ in the waist), your investment ends up lasting a decade or more if you buy a timeless silhouette.
- Lastly, what are you? A farmer?
Of course, you can purchase a tuxedo or dinner jacket from just about any men’s store. We have a few off-the-rack, but to date, most of our formalwear orders have been made-to-measure which, to be honest, is the way we prefer it. The tuxedo is so standardized that the opportunity to make minor customizations – peak vs. shawl collar, satin vs. grosgrain, black vs. midnight blue, etc. — is a major benefit to ordering one custom-made.
To sweeten the deal for members of the club at Wingtip who invest in a tuxedo from us, we are instituting two perks that we can safely say are totally unique in the menswear industry:
- Free cocktails on any visit to the club when you a member is wearing their Wingtip tuxedo, and
- A lifetime free ticket to our annual Frank Sinatra Holiday party (value: at least $150/yr)**
Stop in any time during the store’s operating hours to browse our options of models, fabrics, and makes, but for dedicated attention, make an appointment by emailing email@example.com.